A Happy Christmas to all my friends and those who follow the blog. I appreciate things have been a little quiet this week, but it’s been a busy week at work and no doubt the next couple of days will be rather full socially but I hope to put up some more images of 60035 in the next couple of days.
The above image is reproduced here with the kind permission of Bruce McCartney, without whose marvellous photographic contributions, the fascinating last days of the Waverley Route would be largely unillustrated.
Yesterday I mentioned the Hornby A3 and it’s impending makeover. Here is the first day’s work then; the medium involved in this task being the Brassmasters detailing etch. The relevant parts involved in this case are largely connected with the front end and concerned with improving the look of this end of the loco. A day’s work convinces me that these are fiddly assemblies but someone with more etched build experience than I have should probably do OK. I still have a developing skillset in this particular aspect of modelling. I’ve completed the building and fitting of the parts. The buffer ‘spring box’ is probably the trickiest part to build and install but this was probably more down to cack-handedness on my part! As with the bulk of etched soldering jobs, you really need three hands. The sub assemblies, specifically the front steps and spring boxes were offered up to each other and the dummy frames secured to the plastic frame representation on the model body. I ended up using epoxy for this since the original choice of superglue was less than super and resulted in the extensive deployment of industrial language befoore I settled for something with greater resilience!
The jury is still out on whether the result will justify the effort but I’ll reserve judgement until the final finish is on the loco and all the aspects of the upgrade are fully merged into a homogenous entity!
Tomorrow I’m going to show you a new project as I add some Brassmasters detailing parts to a Hornby A3
In the meantime, here’s a short musical interlude… 🙂
Two of the Waverley Route’s goods workhorses. The B1 4-6-0 and the ex NBR S Class/ J37 0-6-0.
The B1 is a bashed about Hornby model and the J37 was built from an old NB Models kit and an NBR 4mm developments etched chassis. For my money these are the best designed etched chassis on the market. Power is via a Mashima 1424 and a High Level gearbox. You may notice that the Wakefield lubricator drive isn’t fitted on the J37 but as I’d acquired the kit as a part build, I was pretty unsure of some of the finer fittings, or more specifically, my ability to make this particular one work correctly. Maybe next time – if I ever find another of these exceedingly rare beasts!The B1 in this case depicts 61099, a St Margarets loco and a regular on the route. She was created by taking the smoke box door from another B1 donor and also required the removal of the electric lighting, generator and conduits. All this stuff was of course transferred onto the other B1 which become Canal’s 61290, circa 1956. I then had to reinstate the lighting conduit on 612990 from fuse wire but if anything, the effect looked more natural than the poker straight moulding that was originally on the model that became 61099!
A short notice track weekend has seen the stock siding up at Whitrope receive additional sleepers, sufficient to make it operational when required next year.
Whitrope has a very seasonal coating of snow this week and looks wonderful. I have come to the conclusion that autumn and winter are the Waverley’s defining seasons. It’s sending me off into some interesting modelling notions for when layout time arrives.
This week I’ve been attending also to Bachmann’s class 46 , No D186 as operating in 1967/8. Bachmann supply it ready weathered but I’m no great lover of factory applied weathering but it’s quite competently done for a ‘sausage machine’ job. Of course, being me, I just couldn’t stop myself attacking the model with a fibreglass pen, T Cut, washes and metalcote.
The result is before you. It would have looked superb up at Whitrope this afternoon!