An unexpected remembrance



Part of my current job involves driving around, checking railway access point and during the course of my final night shift this morning, I decided to check the access point at Quintinshill.
It was only upon arriving there I realised what the date was.
I have no idea what made me decide to go there this morning as it’s not a regular call but the least I could do as a devotee of The Caley and someone who tries to be a decent human being was pause and remember all those lost in the horror of that dreadful morning 99 years ago in the worst railway disaster to date in the British Isles.

Such a dreadful moment in history and from what we now know about the dreadful slaughter of Gallippoli, it seems as though these poor men were doomed either way, the moment they stepped aboard that train at Larbert.
Would it be too much to ask of our ‘Glorious Leaders’ to remember this sort of ‘rear echelon’ incident when they bang their celebration drums later this year…?

“My friend, you would not tell with such high zest… the old lie…”

Wilfred Owen.


Further along the B Road







Some more activity with the Class B tank with the suspension units and wheels in place and the buffer beams attached. I’ve also reinstated the solebars and prepared the tank upper surfaces for the new etched walkways.
Prior to this, I ballasted the tank barrel and sealed it up with liquid lead secured in place with HobeTac adhesive. I may have over egged it slightly as it’s now a 48g monster!
Buffers and drawhooks are from the excellent LMS range. Thanks Dave!

Taking the B Road





Being in a position to do a bit of modelling without competing disrractions today I spent some tome in the shed. I’m suffering from some odd, possibly hayfever related mailaise this weekend so I didn’t fancy anything too demanding mentally.
I therefore thought I’d have a crack at one of the Dapol 35 t tank kits lurking in the wagon drawer.
I plan doing this one with Bill Bedford sprung axleguards and this meant some butchery underneath, carried out using the Proxxon and a milling tool set to 7000 rpm.
The first end was taken down a bit thin and I ended up cutting out part pf the solebar but no problem, easy to reinstate. Worked ok at the other end too though you have to remove parts of the internal framing to accommodate the BB units.
I’ll get these speung up then use a Brassmasters gauge to get the units square to each other next.




Twenty Twenty Vision

Paul talks some of the biggest load of common sense that ever gets spoken in the world of wee tiny trains. I fully agree with his sentiments as expressed here and it will let me view my own projects with a more pragmatic eye.

Albion Yard


This week there’s been quite a kerfuffle about Bachmann’s 20% price rise, most noticeably on assorted forums and meejah. Basically rising costs have meant that Bachmann have passed on elements of that rising cost to the end user, the man on the Clapham Omnibus. It would appear that this is going to be the end of the hobby, the thin end of the wedge driving people out of a ‘rich mans’ hobby. One even mentioning that they knew of the coming increases at Warley last year. Well cynical old me, but I doubt that very much. The hobby started out as a rich mans plaything certainly, and the high quality end of the hobby has, and always will be expensive, but that’s no different to any leisure past time. The hobby is cheaper now than it has ever been, in my experience of about 40 years or so. The contemporary Ready to…

View original post 1,098 more words

So what’s been happening?

Things have been quieter in terms of modelling activity lately than I anticipated this last week while I’ve been off work. Partly this is due to having a day of not doing much at all last Monday as I hit my half century!
I also had a couple of days where I carried on with some outstanding domestic tasks and a couple of social visits.
I also had a couple of day trips out at the end of last week including a trip to the rather wonderful St Mary’s Loch and the Moffat Valley, some of Scotland’s less publicised gems.




And now, what of modelling?
Well, the aforementioned age-related event produced new and useful tools for the workshop in the form of the Proxxon Micromot 50EF drill/mill and associated accessories.
These allowed me to properly mill out the axleboxes for the BR plate wagon as shown here.


Also in later stages of construction is this BR Sturgeon wagon. A fiddly but rather impressive kit. Not a difficult kit to build if you have a bit of wagon experience but time consuming when it comes to handling the multitude of door springs. I still have the deep joy of folding a multitude of grab rails for the dropsides too. Not my favourite task if the truth be known!


I’ve not been ignoring the 2P either and the boiler mountings, backhead and Wakefield lubricators have been attached. A start has also been made on the chassis as I have opened out the axle housings to accommodate sprung hornblocks. This is new territory for me so I’m going about it gingerly!