Whilst I psyche myself up to tackle the Gibson wheels on the Austerity and re visit the errant chassis on the Barclay, I decided I would finally make a start on one of the Judith Edge diesel shunter kits that have sat in my stash for six years now. I chose to go for the NBL diesel hydraulic, one of the later, more boxy style, seen from D2708 onward. These were further developed and the kit represents the later variant from D2745 on.
I’ve long entertained a big soft spot for these machines which although small are big in personality as the clip below ably demonstrates.
Quite possibly, the growliest, snarliest wee shunters on the system and full of character, most Scottish yards of any significance had one stashed away somewhere so as plans beyond Project 77 feature a representation of a Glasgow yard, there is a requirement for at least one of these.
The kit itself is a collection of flat etched and so far construction has generated no terrors.
Close of play last night saw the frames assembled, the running plate basic structure and front buffer beam fabricated. This latter is a laminate of five etched layers, making an extremely solid and robust assembly.
It’s just possible that the kit is slightly over-engineered but so far it’s pretty well designed and self-jigging. In any case, I don’t consider over engineering to be a remotely bad thing; it is after all the primary reason that the Forth Bridge still stands proudly beside her newer siblings!
(Image courtesy of Transport Scotland)
Like it is for many, this is a very busy time of year in my current line of work so there’s not been that much modelling activity since the last post. However, last night I decided to get stuck in to the Austerity and get the body correctly fettled for the chassis. This meant removing a lot of moulded detail and a fair chunk of the undersides to accommodate the 1224 motor and 108:1 box but things went quite successfully.
Since the model is equipped with a flywheel too I had to remove extra plastic inside beyond what you’d need if you weren’t using a flywheel but it seems to be free from obstruction so far.
As you can see, it all fits pretty well now but there’s no doubt I’ll need to make some modifications to that hefty ballast weight that Dapol provided. In truth it makes the model a wee bit nose heavy in current form anyway so a bit of thought will be needed on not just how to add weight here but also as to how it can be distributed properly.
Whilst I wait for a replacement chassis etch for the Barclay (long story) I’ve decided to make a start on the second NCB loco for Project77.
Due to some confusion and overthinking on my part concerning the compensation on the Barclay, I feel that I need to start afresh with this loco and I’m doing it as a rigid just to keep things relatively simple and make proper progress.
I’ve used the RT Models chassis etch for the Austerity. This will go under an old Dapol ‘Warrington’ which I obtained for a fairly reasonable price over the summer.
Power is by a can motor through a High Level 108:1 gearbox which should mean a fair bit of grunt.
No need for speed here. Strong and steady is the standard requirement and it’s likely the motor will have a flywheel.
Anyway, two evenings’ work has seen the frames assembled, using my faithful Hobby Holidays masterchassis jig with various details applied tonight and the gearbox frame assembled.
Now, if I can get myself a 14BA drill and tap, this would be running by the weekend!
It’s been way too many months since I put anything up on here but it’s been a pretty tight few months with any modelling activity geared towards subsistence as I negotiated some stormy waters in relation to some household bills and structural repairs.
Finally, calmer seas appear to have returned and with them the chance to do a bit of modelling for my own enjoyment again as creativity gets a little growing space once more.
This has allowed me to break a log-jam afflicting one of Project 77’s key elements, the 18″ Barclay. I had managed to tie myself in a knot with the instructions for the chassis by locating the fixed, driven axle at the front rather than the rear which really wasn’t on!
Tonight, after a couple of months’ vacillation I grasped the nettle and relocated the bearings and hornblocks from each end to the other. I also fabricated the gearbox frame although there are now clearance issues with the final drive extension. A few minutes work with a burr should sort this tomorrow night, all being well.
Once that’s done I can introduce myself to the delights of mounting and quartering Gibson wheels…
And after that, maybe get the beast running!