Incremental Gains

image

I’ve not been diving headlong into my modelling this last week as come evening time, I’ve just not had massive inclination to do much beyond read and keep an eye on the interesting developments in Greece and Spain for example.
That said, I’ve still had a measure of activity which has meant that progress has been made with the J39. Having sorted the model out mechanically, the body of the loco has been weighted up to 150g which I think should be sufficient when combined with the 1024 motor.
She has been finished as Canal’s 64948 and tonight I have added the drawhooks. Vac pipes, some cab painting, fall plate and crew still to come and some effects to be applied to the loco body and tender; the latter has received a quantity of Kingmoor’s finest leftovers! Those blanks hiding the Markits axle ends are nothing more sophisticated than A4 paper chads, punched out to the correct diameter. When painted up, you’ll not notice though.
Also on the go and further on tonight after a gap of a week is the bolster E. Tonight, I finished off the brake Rodding and attached the underframe to the underside of the wagon.image

image

My plan was also to fit the buffers and couplings tonight, but what I wasn’t prepared for was the brittleness of the 35 year old plastic with the buffer beams disintegrating as I attempted to ream them out for the new Oleos.
image
This resulted in the need to replace the ends with plastruct which I’ve left to set overnight before re-drilling tomorrow.

image

That accomplished, we should be ready to attach the bogies

Advertisements

About maxstafford60093

Scotsman in exile. Lover of Scotland's railways, land, people and culture. Always got an ear for new and interesting music. Politically of the left and most definitely repelled by the shallow and narcissistic. An unlikely jazz-cat mod rocker with punk tendencies; a bit 1968, a bit 1977 with a distracting overdub of 1958... Most often found outdoors with my four legged buddy!
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Incremental Gains

  1. Tim Hale says:

    Bachmann’s original body wasn’t a bad moulding but it needed a decent chassis, you have achieved a really good result, well done.
    Tim

  2. iak1963 says:

    The Justin Newitt bits seem as thought out as usual – how easy are they to use?
    The J39. looks fabbo, bravo

  3. sed30 says:

    Reblogged this on sed30's Blog and commented:
    Lovely modelling

  4. sed30 says:

    The J39 looks Grand. Steve

    • Thanks, folks. Ian, Justin’s parts are fiddly and it takes a bit to work out where everything goes. Once you’ve sussed the general configuration though the instruction make sense.
      I’ve structurally completed the model now so check out the blog tonight for more.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s