There’s currently a pause with the Pickersgill (which is actually a 113 Class as opposed to a 72 Class – more on this later) as I wait for an appropriate gearbox. Clearances inside the old clunker mean I have to use a smaller motor with a 1.5 mm shaft rather than the type I had intended.
Whilst I wait then I have decided to crack on with another stalled job, an ex – North Eastern J27 0-6-0 which I had been soft-pedalling through the winter. The model had a few problems which I gradually worked through today. Due to clearances (again!) it was only possible to attach wiper pick-ups to the leading two driving wheels. I also changed these from nickel silver to phosphor-bronze after some assistance from fellow Scalefour member, David Thorpe who provided some PB wire.
I elected to compensate for the loss of puck-up on the rear pIr of drivers by creating pick up on the outer four wheels of the tender which is now permanently connected.
I think I managed a pretty neat arrangement for the tender which I show quite unashamedly below.
Fine tuning and a proper test run are really needed, but the arrangement has worked and I can now think about starting to make the rejuvenated model look good.
Leave a Reply