Taking stock

20130731-225359.jpg

20130731-225415.jpg

20130731-225429.jpg

20130731-225440.jpg

20130731-225450.jpg
One project that has been bubbling away at the back for a while is this LMS Diagram 1790 Period 2 Brake 3rd.
It started life as one of those bargain Dapol knocked-down kits that in my opinion offer some of the best kit-basher material around.
Modifications include replacement of the bogies with Bachmann version which were easily re-wheeled with EM sets.
Comet cast underframe parts replaced the old 1970s vintage mouldings, the sides have been drilled out to receive grab rails and the vent holes in the roof have been filled pending re-drilling so the torpedo vents can be mounted in the correct configuration.
Once painting has been completed and the interior suitably decorated, I intend to add the Shawplan glazing.
It’s a tribute to the excellence of the original Airfix tooling that this model still scrubs up well the better part of 40 years after introduction!

Improvise, Adapt, Overcome

A consignment of tender wheels arrived today although I was slightly crestfallen to see that my supplier had provided OO wheels on pinpoints which were ultimately as much use as Nigel Farage to an Edinburgh taxi driver.
After weighing up my options, I trawled my parts boxes and found a set of 14mm spoked Markits tender wheels and saw that they would sit comfortably on the Gibson EM axles I had spare.
Feeling pleased that I’d pulled off the bodge successfully, I placed the wheelsets into the tender frames and have placed them temporarily under the body. There is still a bit of filing and clearance to be done underneath so the wheels turn freely and in truth I wish I’d fabricated new outer frames but things are pretty much on course now here to create a very nice little engine. I’m looking forward to adding the smaller parts and getting on with the painting.

20130517-140803.jpg

20130517-140816.jpg

Love me tender…

I decided to crack on with the tender underframe for the Jumbo tonight following the arrival of frames from Caley Coaches. The Caley very thoughtfully settled on a standard tender chassis wheelbase during the Drummond/McIntosh/Lambie era and that means I was able to put something underneath the DJH castings. You can see the supplied arrangement in the top picture. How anyone ever produced a running model from this garbage is a matter of amazement. How the hell you solder an entire tender body together whilst installing bearings, wheelsets and ensuring overall squareness of both body and axles is utterly beyond me. To think I used to get so frustrated and blame myself for failing in these tasks!
I would say most successful builds of early DJH were in spite of rather than due to the design!
Anyway, that’s enough grumpiness on my part, let’s get on with our tale.
You can see that I attached a spacer to one end of each of the frames. This is a precaution to prevent any distortion through heat during assembly that might occur if I attached both spacers to one side. This creates a risk of your chassis looking like it should have a Fyffes sticker on it!
Assembly was fairly straight forward, the openings for the axle bearings having been gently opened out prior to assembling the frames. Once this was achieved, I attached the bearings using axles to check squareness. Lastly this evening I attached the transverse rods for mounting the brake gear.
There we have to bring the job to a close for now as I need to order correct 4′ diameter wheels for the loco and also some Carrs Brown Label flux for the stainless steel coupling rods on the loco.
One thing’s sure, I’m going to have to cut the frame ends short and carry out some substantial surgery to the lower body ends on the tender in order to mount these frames at the correct height! Once that’s done to satisfaction I will add a false floor for the purposes of mounting the chassis to the body.
Not Mission Impossible by any means but care will certainly be required!

20130514-233319.jpg

20130514-233337.jpg

20130514-233354.jpg

20130514-233418.jpg

20130514-233436.jpg

20130514-233456.jpg

Pickersgill update

20130430-235613.jpg

Lining is now completed.
This locomotive has a fairly rare dome configuration for the mid 1950s and I’ve been unable to find a suitable lowland match. Therefore she is to become 54495 of Inverness.
Actually, at close of play tonight, one side has already been numbered with the other being done tomorrow.
Then the proper work of making her look like a real engine in miniature can take place!

Pearl Diver? No, 84p!

In between the antics with the Gresley TK, I’ve been tarting up a nice new Bachmann A2. I recently traded in some stuff at my local pusher, C&M Models which left me a healthy exchange credit and allowing me to acquire a pair of A2s. This particular model took the total cost 84p beyond what I had in the pot! Nevertheless, as the proud owner of a new 60533 Happy Knight and 60534 Irish Elegance I set about adapting them to my needs. Thus tender swapping tool place (this did not involve throwing regulator handles into a crate in the centre of the enginemens’ mess-room…
The result of this is that 60534 now has a late crest tender to place her in the 1960 period whilst the early crest tender went to the double chimney loco which underwent some identity reassignment surgery to become 60529 Pearl Diver as she looked in 1956 whilst based at Haymarket.
The only major work was in relation to adding the new plates and renumbering. Removing the numbers in this case was quite easy. I gave the lightest of surface rubbing with a fibreglass pen, finished by rubbing away with a cocktail stick, some buffing with T-Cut and finally a coat or two of Klear to provide the high gloss necessary to accept decals.
I’ll add some proper daylight images shortly but I couldn’t wait to share 60529 with you as I tried out some new effects which I think have really helped to create the famous ‘Haymarket Look’.

20130305-230401.jpg